A growing economy
- The local economy is worth £5.2 billion with the fourth highest rate of economic activity in the South East.
- The borough is home to over 7,700 businesses, with around 83,000 jobs.
- Companies have access to 480,000 highly skilled people within 60 minutes’ drive time, with 42,000 highly educated employees in the borough.
- The Enterprise M3 local economic partnership names Basingstoke as one of its growth towns, giving major funding support to infrastructure, innovation, digital technology and business development. Basing View is part of the Enterprise M3 local enterprise partnership’s EZ³ London and South Innovation Valley enterprise zone – find out more at https://ez3.co.uk/
- There is a fast-growing technology sector. Basingstoke was ranked seventh for digital tech business turnover by 2018 Tech Nation report.
- We are putting Basingstoke at the forefront of 5G technology, with one of the world’s few open access testbeds. There are further plans to deliver a 5G commercialisation living lab in Basing View to enable start-ups, SMEs and larger businesses to trial products, services and applications and bring these to market faster.
- Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council started the #getlaunched partnership to support start-ups and innovators. The partnership includes business incubators IncuHive and SETsquared, co-working space DeskLodge and tech media partner Tech Juice. We are together ensuring Basingstoke is a place where businesses, big and small, can collaborate, innovate and prosper.
- The SETsquared partnership, twice ranked as the Global No 1 Business Incubator, launched its only location outside of a university campus in Basingstoke.
- Recent involvement with Venturefest South 2019 as an organising partner, putting Basingstoke on the map as a place where great ideas thrive and, in turn, that will create solutions for modern society. We want today’s start-up businesses to one day become the big businesses of the future.
- There are very strong links with regional universities across the region with six leading universities within a 30 mile radius. The University of Surrey has established presence in Basingstoke through the 5G test bed and partnership with 5GIC and SETsquared incubator. The University of Winchester works in close partnership with local schools and colleges, the hospital and provides degree apprenticeships for local businesses. The top ranking local technology college partners with Southampton Solent to provide engineering courses.
Take a look at the video below: